Thursday 5 July 2012

Smells

As I write up this blog I can see and smell the beautiful stocks I picked up from Wokingham Market this morning.

Smells are very important to me.  I am sure my heart flips when I smell baby powder as it brings back the memories of those gorgeous little toes and the gappy smiles of my children.

Lavender is one of those smells that calms and awakens me.  What a bonkers thing to say, but it's true!  Lavender is well known for its calming qualities.  My children went through stages of bad sleeping and it drove me to despair.  Many years before the children rocked up I was invited to an Aromatherapy party.  Oh!  I am so glad I went!  My bonkers children had to sleep!  I would run a chamomile bath, wrap them in a warm towel and when dry, before the 'warmed on radiator' PJs I would cover their toes, ears, back of neck, chest and back with lavender cream.  Sleep.  Lovely sleep!

To say lavender awakens me is well yes I know daft!  However, lavender reminds me of two wonderful ladies who are sadly no longer here.  My father's mother was at home in the garden in Rowington wearing a quilted jacket stuffed full of mints incase a horse escaped and she needed to catch it!  My mother's mother was a girl about town who used to change for supper.  Those were the days!  Both of them had a bowl of lavender and would squidge the fading blue as they wafted into a room - smelling of mint, baby powder and Ellnet!

These two very strong ladies inspire still.  I am useless at flower arranging yet spent hours watching Granny Sheldon arrange the church flowers in Bath, I was too impatient to knit anything other than a square cotton dishcloth yet used to sit for hours watching Granny Pritchard-Gordon embroider.  I think they'd be proud of me, if only for my love of smells!

I am very lucky that The Original Present Cupboard  stocks beautiful bath oils and body lotions from Lubatti, their bottles evoke memories and the scents are divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment